Friday, August 24, 2007

Michael Vick's mistake

I'm sure that you have undoubtedly heard of Michael Vick plea bargaining with the feds to the charges of dog fighting. I just cannot understand why anyone would ruin their professional career - and ruin it this way. As a veterinarian, I have heard and witnessed first hand terrible stories of dog fighting. I wish Alabama counties were tougher on fighting rings than they are. But, as we know, Alabama is behind in many areas, and only one is animal welfare.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a PETA advocate. There is a line that separates animals from humans, in how they are treated and regarded. But, using an animal's own instincts in such a lethal way is terrible. For the sport and the money.

Anyway, I have been really disgusted with this story over the last few weeks. I'm sure that he won't get enough jail time, but his loss of revenue is enough for me. I just wish that everyone convicted of this crime could get the same punishment...

1 comment:

Liz said...

I know, it makes me sick. I can't even watch the news these days because I just cannot believe what things people are possible of and then how those actions are reacted to or even ignored. I try to keep things positive, but it is hard sometimes.