Tuesday, January 19, 2010
It seems that death has taken over the past few weeks. Am I just reaching that point in my life that I can have friends/family die in what seems like clustered numbers? 2 weeks ago, a former co-worker and friend was murdered in her home, along with her boyfriend. Her boyfriend was a drug dealer, so that situation was bad. It was just so hard to believe that she is gone. Just 28 years old. Leaves behind 2 children - one is 9 and the other is 3. At her funeral, the 3 year old (Brooks' age, btw) would just look at his Mother in the casket, and was reaching out to her, talking to her. It was the saddest picture of anything I have ever seen.
Her funeral was worse than that. The priest (I think it was priest - they are Catholic) didn't shave, used the phrase "screwed up" and nearly cursed at one point (might as well had said it, because we all thought it). He didn't know her, you could just tell. Not that it was his fault - it was hers.
I got a phone call this morning that my hair stylist died in his sleep last night. He had been cutting my hair for almost 5 years. He wasn't in the best of health, including smoking, but it was still unexpected. It seems that friends of mine aren't fairing all that well these days!
What hurts the most, is that especially in my co-worker's case, if you read the Bible and believe it - she isn't in heaven right now. That hurts so badly. Death is so final, and there is no second chance to make it right. I wish so badly that I could have said more, done more. Anything to impress how important it is to be a Christian. To be a true Biblical Christian the way the Bible says. It is a nice thought that just being a nice, good person is all you need to do. But, that's not what the Bible says.
My heart is heavy over losing 2 friends that I question where they are now. Only God can make that decision - I'm so glad that I'm not in that position. They won't be the first, or last. I can only hope that I can be able to be that Christian influence to my friends. I want to take everyone to heaven that I can!
Friday, January 15, 2010
(me) - "Don't pull your pants down until you are in the bathroom stall!"
(me) - "Brooks, what is wrong?" (brooks) - "I probably got a scratch."
(brooks, in a rather loud voice) - "Excuse me Lady!"
(brooks) - "Mama, this Jello is too Jello for me."
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Last night, Scott brought roses home. He called it a "JB" gift. They are beautiful!
I have been reading my photography book, again. I really need to stick with studying it... funny how when there are not tests involved it is hard to stick with studying something??? Anyway, I spent some time taking pics at different camera settings.
So, here are some beautiful posies to brighten your day!
Sunday, January 3, 2010
We have had a wonderful holiday season. The best part was that Christmas and New Years falling on Friday gave as 2 long weekends in a row to spend as a whole family. I can't believe that we are back to the grind tomorrow!
As for New Years resolutions: I am not good at them. I tend to forget them easily, get side tracked, lazy, lazy... But, this year I would like to try it again (I know, I have already said that I wasn't going to, but I changed my mind).
This year, I am going to do what I can to be a better wife. I want Scott to know everyday how much I love him. I want Scott to know how much he means to me as a husband and father. How much I appreciate his hard work. How much I appreciate the kind of Christian he is. I want our marriage to be even better - and this is the best way that I know how.
I can't wait for him to read this. He doesn't know yet! :)
I am going to start by rereading The Power of a Praying Wife. This will be the inspiration that I need to get me started. I haven't read this book in a while and it will be a great refresher course.
Oh, and by the way, I thought I'd list the books that I read last year. Now, remember that I am a slow reader that does find it difficult to get books finished, but for me, this is a record list:
- Redeeming Love - Francine Rivers. This book was suggested to me this summer- my first book of hers. It was INCREDIBLE. I got immersed into her story and had the book read in 4 days.
- Between, Georgia - (can't remember the author). Given to me by a friend, it was hilarious. A fun southern story about a woman who has 2 sets of families that each despise the other. Read at the beach!
- Leota's Garden - F. Rivers. You will catch the theme here... A story about a Grandmother, Mother and Daughter who struggle with family secrets. Great book.
- The Scarlett Thread - F. Rivers. Modern day show of how a marriage is affected by lack of communication. The book is really (2) stories in one - mingled with a story of the mid-1800's.
- And the Shofar Blew - F. Rivers. Another modern day show of the difficulties of ministers and their families. Very good book.
- Let me add here that Rivers is a Christian author - and fantastic. Safe reading.
- The Last Sin Eater - F. Rivers. Set in the 1800's in Cades Cove, TN. Great book - the dialect is difficult at times, but it was fantastic. This book won several literacy awards.
- The Atonement Child - F. Rivers. A modern day novel about the consequences of rape and the fight against abortion. She pulls views from many different characters in this book - which makes it so interesting.
- The Potluck Club - Linda Shepherd and Eva Everson. A fun book written about 6 ladies with real life issues. Each chapter is written from each character's perspective. I couldn't believe when it ended - and want the next one. Another Christian book.
- We Have this Moment - Diann Hunt. This book was very simply written, but sometimes it is nice to have a break from difficult reading.
- The Strong-Willed Child - James Dobson. Very good book. I'm actually not finished with it, but it has been very helpful with Brooks. I need to just buy it (currently have it from the library).
There you have it. Honestly, I'm sure that this has been a record year for me as far as reading is concerned. I am so thrilled to have found Rivers - because I have loved EVERY book I have read of hers so far. And, there are so many to go!! :) So, maybe my list will be even longer at the end of 2010.
Happy New Years everyone!