Thursday, December 6, 2007

What annoys you about the Christmas holidays?

I just completed a "Christmas Survey for your friends" e-mail, which I love to do. It's fun to give your opinion on some topics.

One of the questions was, "What is most annoying to you about the Christmas holidays?"

For me, it is the pressure to buy expensive, impressive or just plain more presents. I sometimes feel that I am such a simplistic person. I consider myself very content, and there is very little that I wish for or yearn for in this life that I don't already have.

I think, though, what I wish for most, is a simpler time.

I wish that our neighborhood could be like Mayberry; our family be like the Cleavers; our house filled with stories and singing rather than television and movies (ironically, how would I know about Mayberry or the Cleavers without TV? I know, I know...). While I am sure that I have idealized the periods just a bit, I still remember walking to my friends homes and riding my bike for just a little while after dark. I wonder if my kids will experience that.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't trade a hot shower for life 100 years ago. After all, that IS a lot to ask!

My children are not old enough to really appreciate what Santa is all about. But, when they are, I want them to enjoy the innocence of this tradition for as long as they can. Is there a way for them to want something and be satisfied at the same time? I'm sure they won't as children - for that is something I hopefully can teach them.

I hope this is something that I am ALREADY teaching them.

'Nuff said. (gotcha Randy Medlin)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have such a sweet heart! I hope the Santa tradition goes on for years to come in our home too, our 8 year old still believes everything.

I wish I could be more content like you, that's a wonderful quality to have as a Christian.

Liz said...

I love what you said and I agree whole-heartedly. Family time is my most favorite of all and I hope to have a lot of it during this season! Also, I hope my kids "believe" and stay innocent for a very long time! That is something that,once lost, cannot be regained.