Tuesday, December 25, 2007

I love being a Veterinarian!

I think this holiday season is summed up in four words: Blue Ridge Animal Clinic. Have we been busy! I have done more surgery in the last week than I had done in several weeks, including things I hadn't done in years:

  1. Let's start with the dog who ate carpet. Whose owner let the dog eat the carpet. Exploratory surgery and (4) enterotomies (intestinal incisions) to remove the carpet. Dog did great.
  2. How about the puppy that was bought from someone online who was transported by the breeders (3) teenage grandsons. It's tried to die for the last two days. Got a blood transfusion, IV catheter, fluids (it's only 2 pounds). That required a trip to the clinic this morning (Christmas). I don't know if it's going to live or not.
  3. And, there is this cat who had a wound on his foot when the owners saw it last week. Then, it shows up yesterday. I ended up amputating (2) toes off his foot. It just wreaked of infection.
  4. Yes, and let's talk about the dog that the emergency clinic wondered if it was shot by an arrow in it's foot. (3) out of (4) high end toes were broken. That surgery took almost 2 hours yesterday. I HIGHLY doubt that it's going to work, but I was upfront with the owner. He wanted me to try. Come to find out, he's a documentarian by trade. Maybe an idea for another story? :)
  5. And, let me not forget, there was a cat with a lower K9 tooth at a very awkward angle - because the root was rotten. That cat tested positive for Feline Leukemia.
  6. And, how could I forget Noel? A kitten on the river bridge (beside the clinic) last Thursday. Had already been hit by a car, and it's right rear leg was irreparably broken. So, I amputated it. She's doing great. She's a tough cat. With a large nub.

And, you know what? I just love my job. I love what I do. There was a time after graduation that I wasn't sure that this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. But, I have found a clinic where I enjoy what I do. I have a great boss. The girls with us are great.

And, I have a great family that accompanied me to the clinic on Christmas morning to try to help this most sick Christmas present. Without complaint. Kate was so glad to see Tiger and Nifty.

3 comments:

Roxy Wishum said...

That IS a great job for someone as caring as you are. Documentarian? One who documents... what?

Kristi said...

Well, I couldn't think of another word for "one whom produces documentaries"...

Me on Metatrophin said...

Love that you are a mom and a vet--two very successful careers! I wanted to be a vet when I was a kid, but went to nursing school--couldn't stand the death and dying, so became a children's librarian. Love it!! Best to you!