Wednesday, January 2, 2008

January 2, 2005

Everyone has dates that remain in their minds. And, this is one that I will never forget.

I was pregnant with Kate. 29 weeks and 4 days (only those people who have trouble staying pregnant measure their gestation in weeks and days...). Went to my dr's office on my lunch break from work to check out some "pesky" fluid leaking. Grabbed a BIG sweet tea from BYB on the way.

There, I found out that I was 100% effaced, 2cm dilated and in active labor (oh, so that was not cramps I was feeling). I still remember sitting on the exam "chair" waiting to be seen, thinking, "Wow, my back sure is hurting today". Oh, yeah, that pesky fluid leaking was amniotic fluid. Great.

Then I was sent straight to the hospital (fortunately just across the street). I was on the phone, assuring Scott that things were OK (trying to assure myself at the same time).

Little did I know, I would be slapped on magnesium sulfate (horrid stuff), which made me vomit all that night. Dr. Waller coming over quickly (thankfully), but telling me that we needed to do everything we could to prevent her from being born before Wed (2 days later) to allow the steroids given me to produce more surfactant in her lungs so she could breathe easier. If she were born, she would probably spend several weeks in NICU. On a respirator and feeding tubes. Scaring me to death.

I remember waking up the next morning, barely able to talk or think, because my mag levels were too high. I was exhaused from being so sick. My favorite nurse, Melissa Paduck, recognized this and got it corrected. I just loved her. Fortunately, the mag worked, and stopped my labor.

I wasn't able to get out of bed, or even sit up (except partially, to eat), for a week. That meant using a bed pan. And, no shower. I can remember crying, tell my Mom that I didn't know if I could do it. And, she was crying too. I don't think I have felt that level of helplessness - having to use a bed pan with your husband, mother or other nurses' help.

Finally, I was able to sit up more (for more than just meals). And, I could go to the bathroom. I could have a 10 minute shower every other day - as long as I sat in a chair while taking it. Then finding out that I was to stay in the hospital until Kate was born. Not going home.

I still remember feeling so ready to leave the hospital, not wanting to be there anymore, but not wanting to go home either. Just not wanting to be there. My recent memories of being at home were not recent anymore. That was such a sad feeling.

But, there were funny memories too. Like Scott "helping" me take showers, and him timing me. I ate so many red delicious apples there - it's a wonder I didn't make myself diabetic. And, I was so HOT - from the mag. I promise, it reset my internal temperature. I would sleep in my bed, in a tee shirt and shorts, with 1 sheet for cover - and there was Mom, sleeping in her pajamas, leather jacket, 2 pairs of socks and 2 quilts. The thermostat stayed on 60, day and night. Just crazy. It was January outside, and January inside.

I ended up spending 6 weeks there. We had 2 weekends where I spent my time in L/D because my contractions got so busy. Those weekends, I received Brethene shots all night. My arms were bruised for days. Then, I took Brethene orally every 4 hours for the 6 weeks. I can still remember the nurses waking me up during the night, "Mrs. Busby, it's time to take your medicine". I got to know EVERY nurse on postpartum (many are still friends and we have visited). When Kate was born, there were 7 nurses in the room (because we had made some good friends) and anti-partum, L/D and post-partum stations were called to let people know that Kate was here.

I will never forget talking to Dr. Waller a few days before Kate was induced. He told me that I had done everything I needed to so that Kate would be born healthy. She would not have any mental deficits or handicaps that she would have potentially had if she had been born January 2, 2005. We would have a healthy baby girl. So many times, I look at her, and think, "Where would we be if she had come that day?" We would still have her and love her. But, we are so thankful for the wonderful, perfect little girl she is.

Brooks' story comes at the end of July... :)

8 comments:

Leah said...

I remember that day! I talked to you on the phone I think while you were at the Dr's office! What a difference 6 weeks makes! She is a precious little thing!

Anonymous said...

Wow...just wow. You are brave girl!! That will be one great story to tell her when she is a teenager and giving your trouble!!(j/k) Aren't you ready for number 3 after telling that story?? :)

Kristi said...

You know, when I get that "baby fever", I remember that time, and the baby fever just evaporates! Makes me very undecided about having another!

Anonymous said...

I can just see everything so vividly as you described the events of early 2005! You and Casey are such strong, brave young women and I am so proud of you both---being such good mamas to your precious children. We certainly enjoyed the few days together---the little ones just make the time so sweet! I love you all! Mimi

Liz said...

Wow! I didn't know about the difficult time you had during your pregnancy. That brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy that everyone is doing well now!

Roxy Wishum said...

That is a great story, and well told. No doubt, the experience has made you much stronger and able to have empathy for others. Those are tough, frightening times that nobody hopes for, but those who experience them come to know more inner strength than ever imagined.

Anonymous said...

I don't think getting baby fever is necessary a bad thing. You can always come join us in the adoption route. Maybe Scott would be willing to "buy you a baby". He can take some pointers from Chris if needed.

Rebecca said...

I never knew all the details about what went on. That is an amazing story. I think the good Lord was looking out for you guys! She is a precious little girl!