Saturday, January 19, 2008

Ginger

Last night, I put to sleep our neighbor's older dog. She had been part of their family for 14 years. In fact, they said that their youngest child was born a few months after they got her. It was very hard for me - knowing how much this animal has meant to their family for so many years.

People often ask me how I am able to do it. They often say that they would never be able to put an animal to sleep because it would be so sad. Most of the time, I am OK. It is really something that I am quite used to. And, in many cases, it is the very best thing I can do for that animal - to alleviate it's suffering. And, that is a good thing.

It is most difficult when I am either good friends with a client, have treated their pet for many years, or knowing their pet is a link to a special past. In Ginger's case - I'm sure that my neighbors could see their children as babies, growing up with her. And, I think about my own pets and their link to my past.

We all cried last night. It was the best thing for Ginger.

1 comment:

Keysgal@QuietWater said...

I had to have our Brat cat put to sleep after he was injured either by a car or someone. The vet said he might could help him but there was no guarantee that he would not be in pain after surgery. It was one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life. But, as he was going to sleep Brat looked @ me with his beautiful golden eyes and told me that it was OK and he was grateful to be out of his pain. I'll never forget that moment as long as I live. Sometimes we have to make hard decisions for our pets. Kris, I think you are a better vet for being such a caring one. Love you.