Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My Jack


What do you say when you've had a cat for 12 1/2 years?

We lost our cat, Jack, on Monday. All I can say is I am heartbroken.
I remember so well when I took him home as a kitten. He was the orange kitten that was climbing the front of the cage, where the other kittens just sat inside. The foreshadowing of quite a personality.
This cat was more dog than cat. He was the one who greeted people at the door when we had visitors. He was the one who would open all my kitchen cabinet doors while I was gone, which would freak me out. He got into more trouble than any other cat I have had. And, now I miss him terribly.
The last few days I have tried to remember all the ways he just aggravated me, but I just can't. All I can think of is this link to my college days, getting married, our first house, vet school and children is gone. I feel that him being gone this way, I let him down. And, in turn, let myself down. Of course, had I known, I would have done things differently. But, being human and not knowing, I don't think I would have.
Thank goodness our kids are too young to understand. That also makes me sad, because they will never remember him. But, I guess that would be more for my comfort, not theirs.
Having lost special pets before, I know that time will help. I just wish time would speed up for a little while.

7 comments:

Keysgal@QuietWater said...

GG told me about Jack and I am so sorry. You and Ashley have both lost good friends in the past couple of months. My heart goes out to you and yes time will heal the hurt but the good memories will never fade away so keep them close to your heart. Much love to you.

Rebecca said...

I am so sorry.

Unknown said...

Oh, Kristi...I know you are heartbroken. I'm so sorry!

Lerra said...

Awww...so sad! I'm so sorry you lost your friend. I haven't even had Toby very long but I already couldn't imagine life without him.

Patrice said...

Kristi,
I am so sorry to hear about Jack. You are right, he was more dog than cat. I have some good memories of him getting into trouble when I would come to visit. Know I am thinking of you.
Trice

Roxy Wishum said...

I am sorry to hear about your long-time companion, Jack. I hope our Punkin outlives me because LaWanna's will be in mourning a looong time.

Ashley said...

My mom told me a little bit ago and I really meant to get to you sooner. I am so sorry about Jack. I know you miss him.