Thursday, September 13, 2007

Caller ID

I'm sure that you will agree that Caller ID is a wonderful addition to our lives. Who doesn't want to screen their calls before answering their phone?

Last night, this guy calls us at 9:55 PM! (nobody calls that late unless someone is sick or dead) Scott was taking the trash to the curb, and I was in bed watching HGTV. I answered the phone, and he proceeds to tell me that someone from this number called his phone SEVERAL DAYS AGO, and he was wondering who it was, and why they called! I said, I didn't remember calling anyone at this number (590-....). Well, that doesn't satisfy him. He just didn't understand why "we" called him and didn't leave a message. I said (wondering why I am even having a conversation at this point), we must have inadvertently dialed the wrong number. Then he asks, "What is your husband's name? Maybe I'll recognize his name." I said no, I wouldn't do that. Then he apologized for calling so late (I don't call ANYONE that late) and politely hung up. I was mad.

Mind you, he was never ugly; he was just insistent about finding out why we called him and didn't leave a message.

Had he never gotten a wrong number before? Why did it even matter?

Do you know anyone like that - that calls numbers back on their Caller ID because they didn't leave a message or just didn't recognize the number? Scott actually said that he has done that himself!

Just another annoying 21st century occurrence.

5 comments:

Lerra said...

I don't do that...I just wonder for the rest of my life who called me. ;-)

I figure if they didn't leave a message then it was either a wrong number or not important.

Keysgal@QuietWater said...

Beware of anyone fishing for information from you. He might have just wanted to see if you were married or living alone. I know, I know, I am over-cautious at times but there are a lot of crazies out there. Better to just tell him sorry you have the wrong # and hang up!!

Liz said...

I don't have any of the modern conveniences where the phone is concerned. Things like "why someone didn't leave a message" and "why were they calling" would drive me crazy. I guess I am pretty two-faced. I don't have call waiting, but I get a little annoyed when I can't get through to someone. I guess what I don't know, doesn't bother me!!

John Owens said...

Not to freak you out, but with just a phone number you can get a lot of info, like addresses. Another blessing/curse of the 21st century. Be careful what you say in stuff like that.

Amy said...

When my mom worked at Central, she said that would happen all the time. People would call and tell her someone from that number had called and she would explain it was a high school with about 25 phones, several of which the students used, but she had many callers get angry about it. Weird.