Thursday, July 19, 2007

Auburn Hill Drive, Chapter 1

Well, the house is so far in the lead of what to see next, so I thought I'd start with a little bit of why we bought this house.

For starters, this is the prettiest neighborhood in Alabama. It has trees, flowers, grass, peaceful neighbors... everything that you would want for your kids to know growing up. Scott and I fell in love with this neighborhood 2 years ago, and have waited for a house to come up for sale since.

Our good friends, and now neighbors, called us one night to tell us that the house across the street had just gone up for sale. It was the house they built and lived in for many years. Thanks to Meredith, who trampsed across the street in her pajamas to get the realtor's phone, we had an appt the next day to see it. That was Monday. By Wednesday, we submitted a contract to purchase it. Yes, 2 days later. I was scared to death - those who know me well know that I usually mull over a major decision for a while, and Scott needed to push me on this one!

So we have been here for almost 3 months now. Here is a list of things that have already been done to the house (either by us or my Dad):
  1. Wallpaper stripped from Kate's room, Brooks' room, kitchen, master bedroom, both baths, foyer, and partially from the guest bedroom
  2. Chair railing removed
  3. Baseboards and crown molding primed and painted white
  4. All doors painted white
  5. Ceilings painted
  6. Bathroom surround tiles, tub and floor reglazed
  7. Toilets replaced
  8. Bathroom hardware replaced
  9. Ceiling fans replaced
  10. Granite counters placed in kitchen
  11. Appliances replaced in kitchen
  12. Chandelier hung in kitchen (I did that myself!)
  13. Recessed lighting in kitchen, living room and hallway
  14. Wood floors laid in kitchen, hallway and foyer
  15. Blinds replaced with 2 inch faux wood blinds
  16. Removed paneling in living room

Looking at this list amazes me! Still to do:

  1. Tile backsplash in kitchen
  2. Paint kitchen cabinets
  3. Finish prepwork of walls in living room/paint
  4. Carpeting for living room
  5. Finish wallpaper in guest room/paint
  6. Crown molding in master bedroom
  7. Somehow replace vanities in bathrooms
  8. Replace light fixtures in bathrooms
  9. Change out all switch covers, electrical outlets
  10. Change out door knobs

I will start with the kids rooms in the next chaper.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Woman, I know your pain all too well! Sounds like it is and will be wonderful. At least both you and Scott love the house/neighborhood. Ash was perfectly fine with our 1st house but I, as she says, wanted to be on the water. Hence the 40yr old "dump" needing everything from new floors, windows/doors(we can hear neighbors whispering, so you can imagine how bad they let in hot air), A/C ducting & unit, and everything in between. And that doesn't even cover the military grey exterior paint, landscaping (or lack there of), and raising the seawall so the back-yard is even useful!
But I think she is starting to come around and feel the potential of everything. Now just if we could come across $100,000 or so laying around we'd be golden!
Kevin

Roxy Wishum said...

Where is Auburn Hill Drive?

Unknown said...

HI Kristi - Not sure if you remember me or not; you knew me as Sara Pigg many years ago in Montgomery (even before you and Scott started dating). I probably spent more time with your sister Casey when we were both at Lipscomb. Anyway, I found your blog through "Lerra's" and wanted to say hello. Your kids are beautiful! I'd love to see a picture of you and Scott too,to see what you look like these days. Please tell Casey I said hi too!
Sara (Pigg) Walker

Lerra said...

Wow...those are both impressive lists! Post some pics soon! :-)