Friday, February 20, 2009

Whooped

Is that how you pronounce it?

I worked all week for Dr. B, who was on a trip. It was CRAZY and overwhelming at times. I don't get nervous about being by myself anymore, but I dread how tired I get after working successive days in a row.

For the most part, it was a great week. I had 1 puppy die of parvo - not unexpected. The others I've treated are managing to do well. I had another dog present with cutaneous vasculitis. It really doesn't matter what it is, except that I had never seen it before (and neither had Dr. B). I ended up euthanizing her today because she just got worse and worse. She had been feeling poorly for several days before they brought her in - so I was behind from the start with treatment.

I did have a few funny stories:

1. One lady is seriously "not right in the head". After telling me that she got her drugs for her dog from a friend "veterinarian" (Who is that? Why doesn't she just go to them?) at cost because she has no money - she can't understand why HEART VALVE REPLACEMENT isn't an option for her dog (or any other for that matter). Then she proceeds to tell me and the receptionist that "she tried her dog's organic dog food, and it didn't taste very good because there wasn't enough salt in it. Then, she tried the Pedigree food and it tasted much better because it had ALOT of salt in it!"

2. Another lady, today, was telling me how her dog suffers with a terrible anxiety syndrome. He "had a seizure and almost died" during the thunderstorms Wednesday night. And, he is afraid of wood - so he will GO OUT THE DOGGIE DOOR, but he won't go INSIDE the doggie door. Really, she has the mental problem - and it's rubbing off on the dog.

3. I had performed a plastic surgery on a bulldog several weeks ago to heal an injury. I rotated a portion of her mammary glands down towards her knee to cover the skin defect. Her owner just noticed it - 1 1/2 weeks ago was the surgery. When she saw it, she said, "Showgirl! Is that titties I see on your leg?" Of course, the tech and Dr. B were laughing with her. It was the funniest explanation from an owner ever heard! She then hugged the dog and exclaimed, "It's OK, Girl. Mama's not laughing at your titties. Mama's not laughing at your titties..."

3 comments:

T. Brodie said...

Here's one for you- My kids were writing about community workers. She chose to write about a vet and when she read hers, I thought of you. She wrote "... but sometimes they mess up, like they may take out the wrong part..."

Sarah said...

I laughed so hard I had tears coming out of my eyes. Seriously, you need to write a book. I think it's time for a modern day James Harriet.
Thanks for the laughs!!!

Keysgal@QuietWater said...

I think the expression is WHUPPED sweet pea. Love you.