Sunday, November 8, 2009

Our trip to the Mountains 2009

This year, our trip was overall fantastic. Last year, it was too, until the plague of death took over the final night there. But, we all managed to avoid disaster this year, and we are all better for it!

Before I get to heavy in pictures (which you know are coming), I wanted to share a sweet moment with Brooks. I am not a writer, but have recently come across some great books by author Francine Rivers, and can't get this scene out of my mind without writing it as a novel...

"It had been a great day.

Everyone knows that when you are on vacation, you are - but you are not. The night came, with it promises of sweet dreams and rest for tired bodies. Our children were ready to dream, with the exception of Brooks. His sweet smile and tired voice beckoned me to stay with him a little longer. 'Mama, can you sleep with me for a while?' If only Mama could sleep with him forever. So, I snuggled down beside him, while he rested on his blanket of blue and contentedly sucked on his thumb.

After a few minutes, I placed my hand across his back. A smile crossed his lips. He was content and happy. Ever so gently, he touched my cheek with his hand. This hand that was his constant companion. It was warm and soft from drool. A smile crossed my lips.

It had indeed been a great day."

2 comments:

Mom said...

That made me cry! That is the sweetest thing I have heard in quite a while! He does love you, Mama, and I am so glad you take note of all those 'special' moments with him (and Kate). It was a wonderful week---just being together---I am anxious for you to put onto paper all that Papa told you---how special was that?!

Keysgal@QuietWater said...

What a special moment. Those are the ones you will treasure for the rest of your life and you will remember them even when other things fade (old brain cells you know). Sweet boy.